Saturday, August 23, 2008

Melon Patch Romp

Well this isn't exactly a recipe. It's more primary than a recipe. I spent the afternoon in a melon patch, romping among some heirloom melons and squashes. You'll pardon me if I don't have the names of each variety (and indeed, if the best bits were left on the cutting room floor). In any case, any serious and delighted cook should have occasional access to the source of his delight. Too often, in the kitchen, we slice into our produce without any sense of its life. The argument is common among vegetarians (that greasy lump in our hands was actually a live chicken), but so too with our vegetable produce. Chickens, like melons, come from one central place, and that place is the ground, the spring that loads us all. And so, as long as I'm on my well-oiled soap box, I want to make this small plug for vegetable life. Take a look at the video. It is much more interesting than the boring quiche Lorraine tutorial I prepared. (I should say, though, that the quiche Lorraine was amazing. God bless the heavy fats!) Finally, if you knew how many edits I made to get this video down to 100 megabytes, you'd be amazed at my tenacity. Enjoy.



1 comment:

Laura Kuster said...

"Chickens, like melons, come from one central place, and that place is the ground, the spring that loads us all." -Jono Tosch

Eggs come from chickens, and chickens beget eggs. The ground in reference to chicken creation is really nothing like the ground as used for melon creation. To the melon, it is, in essence, a womb. To the chicken, just an external environment.