Monday, August 18, 2008

Terrine sliced

Well, it's morning and my terrine is cold and hard. I had to take it on the porch to get this somewhat iffy photograph of it because the plastic wrap and the morning light played that old, nasty trick called "glare." Nonetheless, there it is, a big red log of wonder.

Well, this baby is going to a dinner party in nearby South Deerfield, along with some crostini and some mushroom ravioli. Don't ask me about the mushroom ravioli; I'm not pleased with the mushroom filling at all. However, if I have learned one thing about cooking for friends, it is this: pretend to be proud of and enjoy the foods you make. Don't let your own-toughest-critic ruin their enjoyment.



So, this is what your terrine should look like after you have sliced it. Right now, I can identify a couple mistakes that I will correct the next time I endeavor to make one of these puppies. (a) I'd definitely use more pickles, and (b) the "random" pickle pattern I tried out just ended up looking sloppy instead of random, so forget that idea. You know, some people say that you eat with your eyes, and this may be true. Fortunately for us, we also eat with our taste-bud laden tongues, and this terrine, along with the crostini, is sure to be delicious.

Oh, and for those of you who've been enjoying the videos, here's some of the scrap video I made of the process.


1 comment:

Liz said...

Roast peppers and goat's cheese make a very good marriage (and I *love* handling peeled, roast peppers - all silky and tactile and gorgeous). Feeling hungry now.