Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Grapefruit juice

Fortunately for us Northerners here in flu-land, flu season runs concurrently with grapefruit season, and grapefruits are both delicious and high in vitamin C. I am not a doctor or a dietician, nor a homeopathic healer or a grapefruit guru, but I am a price shopper and a seasonal eater, and grapefruits can be had these days for 69 cents a pound, and that makes me sing!

It also makes me buy them by the bag-full. It makes me squeeze them, and you know how I love to squeeze a nice, ripe, round grapefruit or two. In any case, grapefruit juice: you can make it at home, in your own kitchen, in the comfort of your own flu-ridden infirmary.

To make grapefruit juice you need grapefruit, hands, muscles, and a knife. To get the juices started, roll the grapefruit under your palm, applying firm pressure, but not too hard, until the grapefruit is soft. Do this to every grapefruit and then cut them all in half. Next comes the squeezing. If you have a juicer, use that. If you don't have a juicer, use your hands. I squeeze my grapefruit through a chinois (into a big pot) and the chinois catches the seeds. If you don't have a chinois or a juicer, you can squeeze your grapefruit through any sieve or none at all. Basically, you just squeeze the juice and drink it. What could be easier? The answer is nothing. The answer is grapefruity goodness.

Bye. I am off to make another pot of gumbo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For God's sake, I like how you write. I do. I do do. Do.
Thanks you for making me happy in this gloomy European night when I took a job I am sure about.