Thursday, July 1, 2010

Stuffed Squash Blossoms

The little "software update" icon on the bottom of my screen is hopping up and down, and as soon as I finish this thought I am going to cancel it because I find it annoying and distracting. Bye! you little jumping planet.  I have no time for you now.  I am trying to write about squash blossoms.  What is there to say about them?  How about a little talk about the sexual apparatus of the squash?


The two blossoms with the little "tails" are male flowers, and the big one in the back is a female flower.  The male flower shoots up from the main stem on a little stem of its own, and the female flower is borne upon the end of the fruit.  And the fruit, FYI, is the ovary.  Hence, when the flower is pollinated, i.e. fucked with the aid of a bee, the ovary swells and we get our squash. No pollination, no squash.  This is how nature works.  

No comments: