Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Water, Updated

I woke up this morning around seven-thirty, still thinking about water.  Last night I got hot under the collar, writing about unnamed corporations who bid and vie to control water throughout this world.  There is some truth to that, but there is another truth: I have not done my research.  In New Mexico, it isn't one corporation or another that is the problem.  The situation is much more complicated than that.  New real estate developments are putting pressure on a limited water supply.  Is it that this area can only support so much life?  And what do I mean by "this area"?   


If "this area" means "New Mexico," I am  not educated enough to properly talk about water.  But the overall equation is simple: if there is a fixed area with 500 units of water, and each person requires 1 unit of water, then the area can only support 500 people.  But even this is grossly simplified.  It leaves out the fact that humans do not exist in a vacuum.  Other species and natural systems require water, too.  In my previous post, I only wanted to point out that water, especially in parts of the world where water is less than abundant, can be, will be, and is the location of huge conflicts of interest.  I also wanted to remind you that the struggle to control water is evidence that water does indeed belong to everyone, but in many cases belongs to those with the most power.  

No comments: