Thursday, October 30, 2008

Butternut Squash, "Sweet Bean" Soup


Butternut squash is either like an Olympic gymnast or a kind, sugar mama. I am not sure which one is true. For obvious reasons, I lean toward the sugar mama. Let me explain.

Butternut squash is sweet. Sugar is sweet. The connection is simple. Butternut squash, "Sweet Bean" soup, on the other hand, is not a dessert soup, not at all. It is spicy and rich, and it pairs well with crusty, cheesy breads. The process is simple. If you have vegetable stock, good for you, you must be rich. Anyway, here's what I do:

I get myself one big squash, one with a lot of neck and a little bell (I feel like I've said that before), and I remove the skin. Then I dice the squash, toss it into a pot with enough stock to cover and then some, and boil the daylights out of it. If you don't have a food processor, boil it even longer until the squash is smooth as a gymnast's bottom. Sorry.


In another pot I brown a cube of ham or bacon in butter, along with one or two sage leaves, and two small, hot peppers. Once those things get into a good, aromatic ruckus, I dump the pureed squash onto them, give it a couple aggressive stirs, and thin it down to my preferred thickness with water. Also, I run outside and snip a big sprig of thyme, including the woody parts. With an indelicate or delicate hand, I plink the thyme on top. Bingo, keep simmering very low.

Finally, I hump in my white beans, season with salt and pepper to taste, simmer just a wee bit longer to warm the beans, and serve with a cheese toasty and an heirloom apple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay, really, jono, why don't you get back to poetry and take all of this food talk with you? that would be delicious.