Monday, December 10, 2012

christmas lights

Some of my neighbors have put up their Christmas decorations, which is as it should be: it is after Thanksgiving.  And since I am not a total curmudgeon, I want to share some of them with you.  I actually like walking around at night and looking at them.  This, I believe, is the purpose of holiday lights.  To make cheer.  And yet, well I know that that is a totally reductive conclusion, and that people put up Christmas decorations for all kinds of weird reasons.  But rather than speculate about those reasons now and thus blow my holiday spirit, we should just move forward with this discussion by agreeing that the primary reason people put up Christmas lights is to share their holiday joy with their neighbors who walk by at night.  Credit for my favorite display actually belongs to one of the only hard-core Republicans on the block.  I have never met this person or family, but everyone on the block knows that they are VERY INTO their private property, as witnessed by their red, metal privacy fence and the glaring "private property" signs they post around their yard.  Now, loving private property does not mean someone is a Republican, but these people also hammer lots of political signs for Republican candidates into their lawn during election times, so the conclusion that these people are indeed Republicans is not without a basis.  Anyway, everything about the energy their house gives off says "I totally regret life and you.  Go away."  Everything, I should say, but their classic and very tasteful holiday lights display.  



Okay.  That's all for now.  Expect to see at least one more post about holiday lights.
    

No comments: