Thursday, June 28, 2012

catching up

I haven't been in my garden for days because I've been busy with odd jobs: tearing down an old ceiling on Tuesday, catering a party for poets on Wednesday, installing a new ceiling today, Thursday, the 28th of June, 2012.  I spent half the day standing on a ladder, hoisting pieces of dry-wall over my head while Guy screwed them into the joists.  I wear glasses, but here and there I got little bits of dry-wall in my eyes anyway.  Couldn't be avoided.  For lunch today we had leftover lamb and tabouleh from yesterday's catering.  Work went more smoothly after meat, and we knocked off around four.  Then I headed home to catch up on my garden and drink a beer (also leftover from yesterday's catering). 


  
This is my rocking chair, garlic drying contraption.  The bulbs I pulled more recently (today) are on the right, and the bulbs I pulled before this run of odd jobs are on the left.  As the bulbs dry their purple pigment becomes more pronounced.  There are thirteen bulbs there; I already gave two of them away as gifts, one to Ed and one to Dara, the hostess of party I catered yesterday.  One garlic bulb isn't worth that much in terms of dollars, but I suppose it's the thought that counts.  I've been thinking about garlic a lot lately.  If you're into garlic and reading about garlic, you should absolutely check out Stanley Crawford's account of growing it in New Mexico, A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm.  These garlic plants came from that book.  You can actually buy that book (and others) directly from Stan right here.  
  


Shallots




Shallot tops (compost)



Bag of trimmed shallots





 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't normally sink so low as to tell a man his garlic is gorgeous, but...